Forum Replies Created

  • In reply to: Template files

    #33723

    Kenneth,

    Thanks for the info.

    I was hoping to create a template so that I could reuse and/or change the same code on multiple pages, but I can’t seem to figure out how to create my own template. Everything I could find on Google is different from Graphene – there is no mention of get_template, which is what prompted my question.

    Could you explain what the ‘loop’ and ‘page’ parts of get_template do? I’m guessing that loop pulls the WP loop and page pulls the content.

    ronangelo: There is no get_content in any of the templates.

    In the end I imagine it will be simpler to just use the insert php plugin, but it just seems unnecessary.

    In reply to: Template files

    #33719

    I’ve created a child theme and I’m still not having any luck. I get that the “loop” and “Page” format the page because I can remove them and get an echo to display, but I’m still at a loss.

    Any help is appreciated!

    In reply to: Creating child theme in 1.8 causes loss of column widths

    #31527

    Excellent. That definitely explains the 15-20MB increase and load. Thank you Syahir for your work on Graphene and Josh for his help yesterday.

    In reply to: Creating child theme in 1.8 causes loss of column widths

    #31524

    That seems to work much better! Memory is as it should be and no CPU increase.

    Now I’m off to check my child theme! Update: Child theme works as expected.

    So, what was the change?

    In reply to: Creating child theme in 1.8 causes loss of column widths

    #31522

    Immediately after the upgrade to 1.8 I began experiencing slow page loads and “500” errors. Dashboard and normal pages would timeout and when they did load it would be 7 to 10 seconds before the first byte loaded. Memory usage jumped about 15MB and server load was high – even after a reboot. The site is running on a VPS so this was quite out of the ordinary. It is actually the reason I attempted to add the child theme – so I could cut down on the load times a bit.

    Including the @import fixed the formatting, but didn’t help load times. Immediately after reverting to 1.7.3 page loads returned to normal.

    I’m thinking of trying the update again, but I’m a little cautious as the site needs to be functional on Saturday morning.

    In reply to: Creating child theme in 1.8 causes loss of column widths

    #31519

    As of right now the issue is resolved. I assumed the CSS provided on the Move screen was complete and left out the import statement. Once the statement was added everything worked as expected. However, I’ve temporarily reverted to 1.7.3 for performance reasons.

    In reply to: Creating child theme in 1.8 causes loss of column widths

    #31517

    No need to be sorry, Josh! I’m available right now, but I’ll use your contact form also.

    In reply to: Creating child theme in 1.8 causes loss of column widths

    #31515

    I sure can (using a both a different browser and from a different PC). Width is 960px when it should be 1160px.

    OK, forgot to activate. Child activated, but now all styling is gone.

    In reply to: Creating child theme in 1.8 causes loss of column widths

    #31513

    You were looking at the cached version – I didn’t clear the cache once I saw the problem so visitors wouldn’t notice.

    Cache is cleared.

    I do use Akismet. Commenters are allowed to signup for our newsletters and when we receive spam comments those “junk” addresses are added to the mailing list. This creates several problems, so I’ve added AVH which checks Stop Forum Spam, project honeypot, and others by IP. When a know spam IP accesses the site it is cached and blocked. For those that get by the previous checks they are moved to the spam page (as with akismet) but there is a new option (delete, block, and reportd) which allows be to delete the comment, block the IP, and report it to the above services – AVH works very well. We went from between 50 and 75 spam comments a day to between 1 and 5.

    I just tracked down the issue. The forum plugin I’m using (simple press) had an update over the weekend, which added the ability to replace WP avatars with simple press avatars. I wasn’t aware of this and must have missed it in the changelog, or it’s been there all along and just started working in the last update.

    The WP settings were correct and the SP settings have been changed to correct the problem.

    I apologize for the confusion and thank you both (Prasanna and Ken) for taking the time to offer your advice and attempting to track down the issue!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!