Creating child theme in 1.8 causes loss of column widths
Just updated to 1.8 and decided now is a good time to create a child theme and maybe speed up load time a bit. Created the folder, and style.css file. Went to Options > Advanced > Move Generated CSS and copied the css into the style.css file and checked the “I have moved the generated CSS” button.
Uploaded. Refreshed. What? Blog is now 200px less in width while images and ads spill over the content and widgets.
Site is http://www.davescomputertips.com
As of right now the issue is resolved. I assumed the CSS provided on the Move screen was complete and left out the import statement. Once the statement was added everything worked as expected. However, I’ve temporarily reverted to 1.7.3 for performance reasons.Admin
Yes, the @import was missing from the child theme.
Saying his site has experienced load times issues with the upgrade to 1.8.. It did take a little while to load (when 1.8 was activated)… but I didn’t have time to determine if it’s theme related or something else.
Immediately after the upgrade to 1.8 I began experiencing slow page loads and “500” errors. Dashboard and normal pages would timeout and when they did load it would be 7 to 10 seconds before the first byte loaded. Memory usage jumped about 15MB and server load was high – even after a reboot. The site is running on a VPS so this was quite out of the ordinary. It is actually the reason I attempted to add the child theme – so I could cut down on the load times a bit.
Including the @import fixed the formatting, but didn’t help load times. Immediately after reverting to 1.7.3 page loads returned to normal.
I’m thinking of trying the update again, but I’m a little cautious as the site needs to be functional on Saturday morning.Admin
Try using this updated package:Admin
There were multiple changes based on the feedback received so far, but one change in particular relates to memory. This is explained here:
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.