Switching to Graphene, need some help with customisations

  • beggs4

    #7926

    Hi everyone,

    I’m looking at implementing Graphene on my site in the near future and am just tweaking/preparing everything to my liking on a dummy site before I begin. I’ve been able to adjust a lot of things already, but if someone could point me in the right direction on a few of these issues, it would be very much appreciated!

    Note: I am using a child theme (thanks Prasanna!), so I’m guessing this stuff should be easy enough to implement and won’t cause any issues with future updates.

    1. Remove Next & Previous Post links

    I don’t want to display the Next & Preview Post links on single post view, if at all possible. I would, however, like to retain the breadcrumbs/parent link for pages, since I’m using those for subsites.

    2. Featured images in posts and pages

    In the theme I’m currently using, the 150×150 thumbnail of the featured image is shown in each post (both front page and single post view), aligned right of the text. I’d like to add that Graphene if at all possible.

    3. Customise the slider

    I’ve been digging through the CSS but I’m at a loss, so if I could be pointed in the right direction, that’d be fantastic. I’d like to remove the gradient strips from the slider and mess around with the general appearance a little more after that. If you can show me exactly where I need to look and what I need to change, I can experiment from there.

    I might have a couple of other follow up questions but those are the most pressing issues off the top of my head. Greatly appreciate any insight. 🙂

    Admin

    Syahir Hakim

    #39861
    Quote:
    1. Remove Next & Previous Post links

    I don’t want to display the Next & Preview Post links on single post view, if at all possible. I would, however, like to retain the breadcrumbs/parent link for pages, since I’m using those for subsites.

    Add this to your child theme’s functions.php file:

    /**
    * Disables the single post navigation
    */
    function graphene_post_nav(){
    return;
    }

    Quote:
    2. Featured images in posts and pages

    In the theme I’m currently using, the 150×150 thumbnail of the featured image is shown in each post (both front page and single post view), aligned right of the text. I’d like to add that Graphene if at all possible.

    /**
    * Add featured image as thumbnail to posts
    */
    function graphene_post_thumbnail(){
    if ( has_post_thumbnail() ) the_post_thumbnail( 'thumbnail', array( 'class' => "attachment-$size alignright" ) );
    }
    add_action( 'graphene_before_post_content', 'graphene_post_thumbnail' );

    Quote:
    3. Customise the slider

    I’ve been digging through the CSS but I’m at a loss, so if I could be pointed in the right direction, that’d be fantastic. I’d like to remove the gradient strips from the slider and mess around with the general appearance a little more after that. If you can show me exactly where I need to look and what I need to change, I can experiment from there.

    Add to child theme’s style.css file:

    .featured_slider {
    padding: 0;
    }

    The CSS codes for the slider is on line 812 onwards in the theme’s style.css file. I would suggest using Firebug to figure things like this out and experiment on the fly.

    beggs4

    #39862

    Many thanks! Greatly appreciate it. I actually managed to get the thumbnails working using a plugin, the action hooks and some CSS tweaks, but I’ll give that method a shot. I assume if I want to do that for pages as well, I just need to change graphene_before_post_content to graphene_before_page_content?

    I’ll definitely have a play around with the slider CSS, thanks for the pointer! I do have a couple of other questions, if I can pick your brain a little more:

    1. I’ve changed the text of the “Read More” button, but I was wondering if it was possible to change that to a text link and align it left, underneath the text of the post? I’ve tried moving the button left, but it interferes with a social media button plugin that I’m using.

    2. This one’s a bit more ticklish. I’m using this plugin to change the time/data on posts according to the end user’s time zone:

    http://wordpress.org/plugins/localtime/

    However, it doesn’t show up properly with Graphene, probably because it’s looking to replace the time in the date line and Graphene just displays the date. I can do without it but would like to still use it, if there’s a viable workaround to make it compatible.

    Thanks again, appreciate the help and can’t wait to go live with Graphene. I’ll probably be investing in the mobile extension in due course. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.