Suddenly getting 404 errors when trying to comment

• dnourie

Hi,

Suddenly this morning no one can comment on our blogs. When you submit a comment, the end result is a 404, but I noticed in the url that this weird address comes up right before the 404 in the url line:

http://www.secularbuddhistassociation.com/%5Ehttp:/70.137.139.176/

What is that????? Shouldn’t the comments php come up? Any idea how I correct this?

Thank you!

Mod

Kenneth John Odle

I can’t really tell, since one must be logged in to comment, and thus I can’t comment to see what is going on.

This might be a plugin conflict. It could be the result of hacking into core files (either WP or Graphene). It could be the result of a hacker. Hard to say, really.

Umm…your ISP isn’t sbcglobal, is it?

dnourie

I have fixed it by reloading my .htaccess file. I don’t know what it fixed it but it did. I find my .htaccess keeps getting overwritten.

I just placed this code in the file:

# Protect the htaccess file

<Files .htaccess>

Order Allow,Deny

Deny from all

</Files>

which I hope prevents it from being overwritten again.

Mod

Kenneth John Odle

Some hosts are pretty sensitive about allowing clients access to their own .htaccess files, because…well, I’m not sure why, but they are like that. If it happens again, you might want to check with your host about that issue.

You could have a plugin which rewrites .htaccess, however.

dnourie

OH, to answer your question, yes my ISP is sbcglobal. Was that my own IP showing in the url line for some weird reason?

dnourie

My host is good about allowing me access to my .htaccess file and even creating more memory for wp through the php.ini file.

I had a weird incident this morning where I went to update a plugin, and got a sudden Down for maintenance page for my site. Could access wp. When I ftp’d in, I discovered a .maintenance page I had not created. I deleted it. It had this code in it:

php $upgrading = 1331489342;

So I contacted my host, lunarpages, and they said that wp had failed to automatically update. That’s is really odd because I’m on the latest wp 3.3.1, and I don’t want it automatically updating! I’ve asked them how to turn that off. When I checked Control Panel through them, there wasn’t an upgrade available.

It could be the plugin I tried to update did something bizarre and messed up my .htaccess file at the same time.

Damn plugins. I’m down to 14 of them now, and hope to trim back more.

Thank you so much for your input. If anything makes sense to you here, let me know.

Mod

Kenneth John Odle

I discovered a .maintenance page I had not created

This is not all that unknown, actually. The .maintenance page is created when WP gets updated, and is supposed to be deleted when the update is over. Its continuing presence is not really a problem, but it will cause you to get that “A WordPress update has failed to complete” error message (or something like that).

If you are not updating and you find that file, you can safely delete it. It’s happened to me a couple of times across four blogs.

dnourie

Ok, but can’t wp automatically trying to update be a problem? I mean what if it clashes with the theme or a plugin? I’d rather it ask. Or am I misunderstanding?

Mod

Kenneth John Odle

WordPress does have an automatic update feature, but it doesn’t happen automatically: you have to click a button to start the process.

You can read about that here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Automatic_Update

If your WP installation automatically updates without your even being aware of it, it might be because the way your host handles WP installations.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!