MIGRATING FROM 1.3.1 TO LATEST VERSION (I'M NEW TO THE THEME)

• pvalvarez01

Hi,

Good day to all, I’ve recently been appointed to managing our website for our Chapel and I thought that it would be best to update version. I’m totally new to the graphene theme but i see the community is quite helpful and thought i could have some help as well.

Basically it’s a website about the church and it’s activities. The old manager of the site simply left without handing me anything over 🙁 that is why i’m totally scared right now of what to do. There are tons of pages that have been made and posts already there that i don’t want to waste and re-organize again 🙁

I can understand basic html codes and might need to learn some CSS but i think i can do it.

I would like, if i may:

1. update graphene to latest version
    2. what do i need to get a hold of
    3. what should i keep in mind
    4. keep all links and pages
    5. is there a way to check out changes without affecting the site first?

if it helps, here’s the site: http://www.greenbeltchapel.org

changes i would like to have after:

1. make slider image full width
    2. maybe put menus to the right/left

Thank you very much and i’m hoping for a response

pvalvarez01

please anyone? even just a link to a forum page about this.. thank you

Mod

Kenneth John Odle

There have been a LOT of changes between your version and the current version. I would recommend setting up a WAMP server on your computer so that you can experiment with plugin configurations on a test site first, and then upload to your live site.

Quote:
    There are tons of pages that have been made and posts already there that i don’t want to waste and re-organize again 🙁

These are stored in the database, so theme changes won’t remove that data.

pvalvarez01

Thank you very much, kenneth.

i’ll read about WAMP servers first. i see very few plugins in the site, basically just gallery plugins.

i was worried that the pages and the format would change if i update. 🙁

i tried it before on a previous site i owned and i had an entire wipe of my database, i don’t know what i did wrong 🙁

pvalvarez01

Thank you very much, kenneth.

i’ll read about WAMP servers first. i see very few plugins in the site, basically just gallery plugins.

i was worried that the pages and the format would change if i update. 🙁

i tried it before on a previous site i owned and i had an entire wipe of my database, i don’t know what i did wrong 🙁

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.