Return to Support

How can I remove suggested pages on my 404 page?

Home Forums Graphene WordPress theme Support How can I remove suggested pages on my 404 page?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sdingram

I was shocked today when I saw that anyone can search for “hidden” pages on my site and they show up under “Suggested Pages” if someone types it in incorrectly.

What I mean is, I have a 14 week course that people pay for access to, and I’ve always just clicked “No index/no follow” and not included them in the menus when creating the pages, so I figured they were fairly safe. (I know that hackers could grab them no problem but the average person wouldn’t know how to find them.)

So how do I remove the suggested pages on my 404 page?

Thanks!

Sue

Quote:
    so I figured they were fairly safe. (I know that hackers could grab them no problem but the average person wouldn’t know how to find them.)

The problem is not that they show up on the 404; the problem is that they show up everywhere. A simple search of your site through Google or Bing will turn up those pages.

You need to find a better way of keeping those pages private, such as by using a membership plugin.

Moved to Support. Please post in the correct section next time.

sdingram

Hi Kenneth,

Yes, I recently bought a membership plug in and will begin the process of setting that up.

In the meantime, can anyone help me with removing the suggested pages on the 404 page?

Thanks,

Sue

Quote:
    Yes, I recently bought a membership plug in and will begin the process of setting that up.

Why did you buy one? There are plenty of good free ones available in the plugin repository.

Quote:
    can anyone help me with removing the suggested pages on the 404 page?

Once you have your membership plugin set up, even if those posts show up in search results, the excerpt and the full page content should not be available to anyone who is not logged in to the course.

Edit:

I’m not sure which plugin you are using, so it may have the ability to keep those pages out of search results. You’ll need to check the plugin documentation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.