Background image for a single page & WP 3.3.2 Update

• kyungs

I’ve searched for an answer for this but I can’t find one that I can understand. I’m trying to add a background image for a single page (not post). I can get one to appear but it’s not flush left. The center of the image is appearing instead of seeing the left side of the image on the left side of the page. I can’t link it here because its just in draft right now.

I know you’re not WP support but I’m hoping you can point me in the right direction for better instructions than I found at WordPress. I’m absolutely terrified of updating to WP 3.3.2. I read the wordpress extended tutorial at http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress_Extended and it sounds like its completely over my head. It instructs to me to use my hosting cpanel or phpmyadmin but my provider doesn’t offer either. I have no idea where to find the databases that I’m supposed to back up and further, it instructs me to test the backup to be sure its usable. First, do you have any recommendations how i can back this up and test it and second, without cpanel or phpmyadmin, how to i restore the files after I delete everything?

It appears that I have to completely reinstall Graphene and all of my plugins.

The way the wordpress instruction page is written, I’m doubting that I can do this without a great likelihood that I’ll destroy my website. If you can point me in the direction of a tutorial to update WP that’s written more simply than on the link above, I’d really appreciate it.

Anonymous

1. You can change the background of a single page using custom css.

Something like this,

.post-ID .post, .two-columns .post.page {
    background-image: url("Image_Path");
    background-repeat:no-repeat;
    background-position:left top;
    }

Here .post-ID is the ID of your single page.

Play around it.

2. Try this plugin to back up your WordPress tables – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-db-backup/

But, you need to have Cpanel/phpMyAdmin access to restore it in worst cases.

You don’t have to completely reinstall Graphene or other plugins to update WordPress. Temporarily deactivate it while updating WordPress. In most cases, wordpress update process goes smoothly.

I updated my wordpress yesterday without even taking a backup and with all the plguins and theme activated. All that you need is a reliable network and a good host.

kyungs

Omigosh, thank you. I was having nightmares while wide awake after reading wordpress’s step by step about how to update.

Another question: I went ahead and published the page without background at http://fghelper.com/fgh/castleville-happiness-meter-rewards/ Now that it has a descriptive URL, I don’t know how to find the page ID.

Anonymous

Go to the admin panel and click “pages”. Then, HOVER (don’t click) on the page you want to find the ID. Then, look towards the bottom right (or left) of your browser and you should see a link. Toward the end of the link will be something like pageID=. The number following this is the ID of the page.

Alternatively, there are many plugins out there which will add a column in your admin panel to show all post/page ID’s.

kyungs

got it, i see it now. In Prasanna’s response above, he instructs me to add the code to custom css. should that be in graphene>options>display>custom css or in my child theme style.css?

Anonymous

It’s best to use the child theme stylesheet whenever possible, and here’s why:

1. The child theme stylesheet is loaded after your main stylesheet, modifying any parameters you specify.

2. The custom css option is added into the header of every page. So, anytime you jump from page to page, a separate request is sent for the custom css each time. If you bog down the custom css with lots of data, it can potentially slow down your site loading time.

With the first option (child theme) the call is made once, and stored for each page on the website.

We (moderators) often say, “just add it to your custom css”. We assume if you are using a child theme, you will know it’s better to place modified css there. Speaking for myself, frankly I just grew tired of always explaining what a child theme is and how to set it up properly. So now, I say… “add it to your custom css”. If they say, “huh??”, then I’ll explain.

kyungs

Thanks, guys! I’ve always wondered what the difference was between using a child theme and the custom css option in graphene. css still scares me because i don’t know/understand the syntax but at least it doesn’t look as foreign as it did two months when I started this project.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.