AddThis social sharing buttons questions
First of all, I want to thank you for a great theme. Iâ€™ve used a few frameworks like Hybrid and Weaver, and I think I am going to build more sites based on Graphene now.
I’m hoping you can help me with a few questions about AddThis. I’m using Graphene 1.5.4 with AddThis Social Bookmarking Widget 2.3.0
1) Disabling on pages: In the Graphene Options, General I have “Show social sharing button” checked and “Show in Pages as well?” unchecked. I still have social sharing buttons on pages.
2) Settings order of precedence: It appears to me that the Graphene Options do not override the plugin Setttings for AddThis. For example, if I have Setttings, AddThis “Choose the sharing tool to display below the post” checked and the Graphene Options, General “Social sharing buttons location” set to “Top of posts”, it uses the plugin Setttings for AddThis instead of the Graphene Options. Is this expected behaviour?
3) Styling for social sharing buttons: I would like to place the icons vertically in a tab under the â€œFollow-meâ€ tab. If you have done this, I would really appreciate the code to put in the child-theme CSS. Iâ€™m sure I can figure it out based on the AddThis Client API http://www.addthis.com/help/client-api, but Iâ€™m a bit rushed for time.
BTW, I am receiving an â€œInternal Server Errorâ€ when I search on the forum, and just wanted to let you know.
AnonymousNovember 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm #19510
Usually, plugins are designed to override default actions. A plugin will usually take precedence, if you will, to any default theme behavior… via custom hooks and filters.
Check the plugin to see if there is an option to not display on pages.
As far as vertical buttons; are you saying you want to put them into a widget area?
Sorry if you get this post twice, but I don’t see my last reply.
1) Disabling on pages: You were right. I missed the Advanced settings â€œShow on homepageâ€ and â€œShow on pagesâ€.
2) Settings order of precedence: It really helps to understand that a plugin will usually take precedence to any default theme behavior. Kind of the inconsistent with stylesheets, but good to know.
3) Styling for social sharing buttons: Iâ€™m wanting the buttons aligned vertically outside of the main content and outside of the widget areas. I’d like to see them in the tab like the â€œFollow-meâ€ tab, which is far right or far left. I donâ€™t see anything in your styling where you have done rules for addthis_toolbox, so I will go ahead and add them to the child theme
Thanks again for your help.Mod
Settings order of precedence: It really helps to understand that a plugin will usually take precedence to any default theme behavior. Kind of the inconsistent with stylesheets, but good to know.
Yes, plugins’ styles generally load after the theme stylesheet loads. That way the plugin css doesn’t get overridden by something in the theme’s styles. You can override this in your child theme stylesheet by adding the “!important” to any plugin style you copy to the child theme.
outside of the widget areas
Technically, a widget area isn’t anywhere, because you can always style widgets with absolute positioning to put them just about anywhere. It’s a bit more advanced CSS, but not much more advanced.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.