Child theme allows you to modify the theme without actually modifying the theme's core codes, so it makes sure that you can safely update the theme whenever there's a new update without losing your modifications.
I strongly recommend that you use child theme to modify the theme instead of modifying the theme's files directly.
It's quite easy to do. Here's how:
- Create a graphene-child folder in
- Create a new style.css file inside the graphene-child folder
- Copy and paste the following code into the new style.css
/* Theme Name: Graphene Child Theme URI: http://example.com/ Description: Child theme for the Graphene theme Author: Your name here Author URI: http://example.com/about/ Template: graphene Version: 1.0 */ @import url("../graphene/style.css"); /* Your modification goes here */
- You will only need to modify the values of the properties for the elements that you want to modify. There's no need to copy and paste the entire style.
- Go to your WordPress Appearance > Themes admin page and activate the child theme.
You can learn more about using child theme at the Wordpress codex page.