When I use the default Permalinks settings, the site works perfectly. If I change the Permalink structure to another setting such a "Post Name" (under the Settings>>Permalinks menu), I am am getting a 404 error for the initial landing page only. All of the other links seem to work fine.
- When I selected/tested any of the optional Permalink structures in the menu, I also updated the .htaccess file with the code provided in the window at the bottom of the page in the WP content manager.
- I am not using a static home page, and under the Settings>>Reading menu, the "front page displays" setting is set to "Your latest posts"
- I have tried turning off all plug-ins but the problem still existed.
- I switched to the standard Graphene theme instead of the child theme but the problem still existed.
- I switched to the twenty eleven theme and the problem went away.
- WP V 3.8 (in case you need that info)
I am not sure what to try next. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.